This is Journalism
‘Live Online’ sessions led,by experienced journalists.
Some topics which will be covered:
Part 1 – Demystifying the news
- Deconstructing a newspaper: Front page, city pages, state and nation, world, Edit page, Op-ed is no longer Op-ed. Sections (business, sport, entertainment). Features and news. The role of advertising and its impact upon content, especially in India.
- Spotting Story Ideas: From where do the stories come? Why you cannot sit around and wait for them to come to you. Seeing life as sources. Examples. With assignments.
- Basics of writing reports: Why, how, who, what, where, how. And what next. WHY we write like we do.
- Hard news and soft features: Similarities and differences. Mainly differences. Why digital has begun to erase these differences. But hard news REMAINS hard news. Why students view it with caution, preferring “features”. Examples, examples examples. Plus assignments
- What is Digital Journalism: Demystifying news on social on social media. Spotting stories, essential tools for DM, how it works. Exercise online.
Part II – Writing like a Journalist
- News report writing: You’ve learned the tricks. Revisit, then source news and write reports
- Feature writing: Everything that’s not a report, is a feature. Is this still true?
- How to read data for stories: Stats, getting the numbers, the romance in numericals. It’s not so much math but investigation mixed with common sense. Look at the role numbers play in stories everywhere.
- Images and writing: the different ways image and video can be used to tell you the news.
- Writing for Social Media: Count the ways….
- Final assignment
Carol Andrade & Shweta Bhandral
Point of contact:
Course Counsellor (Phone no.: +91-9833806739 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org)